"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight and understanding."
-Marshall McLuhan




Monday, April 18, 2011

Script

Our group hasn't officially decided whether or not we want to do a video together or individually yet. Given the amount of time we have left for this class, I don't think we have anymore time to waste debating and this is my script for a video done by me alone.

Going along with the outline I created in my last post, I still want the overall theme to be "heroism." My section of the whole group video is how athletes are utilizing this media. So, I want to start my series out with a bunch of clips of heroes like Michael Jordan, Babe Ruth, you know, athletes that were big before social media like Facebook and Twitter. I want to really put an emphasis on how we reacted to them emotionally and how their talents were what got them the big paychecks.

I want to then use screen recording techniques to help ask the question of how athletes are using their fame in a different way today. There are some positives and some negatives to this idea. I want to really show that athletes don't really even need to have amazing talent to be known or seen as a hero. Shaq, no doubt, has tremendous talent, however-he has created a more personal relationship to his fan base, therefore reducing his ranking as a hero, in my opinion. Other athletes like Ochocinco, who is also using social media and media in general, to really skyrocket his career and keep him in the spotlight-not by talent, but by entertainment. This is where I want to show maybe the downsides of having athletes freely using sites like Twitter. I would like to show different miscommunications coming from this media.

To end my section, I want to take a modern day hero-such as Lebron James or Kobe Bryant and show highlights and interviews as to how they are branding themselves without the help of social media. They may not have as big of celebrity status as say Shaquille O'Neal, but they certainly make money off of their talent still and maintain a sense of humbleness as they do. This, to me, is still heroism...even if it is hard to recognize.

0 comments:

Post a Comment